Tuesday, September 9, 2008

One Universal Truth

I am so amazingly grateful for one universal truth -- regardless of our specific religious beliefs, our national origin, or our current financial status, God loves all of His children, and has given them an incredible gift. It is freedom to choose, call it free will, free agency, or right to believe, whatever terminology best fits your life. But it is truly wonderful, to have that gift!
Now, I understand that not all countries, nations and principalities allow their citizens to excersize this God-given right, but I am truly blessed to live in a nation that is based upon this gift of freedom.
I am waxing so philosophical about this for a number of reasons, but the one hot topic right now is election time. Not only are we looking for someone new to sit in the big white house in Washington DC, but there are also many issues up for vote this November.
The other night, I heard a man talk about a conversation he had had with his granddaughter, who recently turned 18. He was explaining to her that she needed to register to vote, so that she could vote on a specific issue, and, he told her, "we need your vote!"
As he explained to her both sides of the issue that he was referring to, she said, "well, that isn't the way that I would vote!" His response? "I'm not gonna talk to her, with that kind of attitude!!"
So, my understanding of his response is "I'm not going to talk to(read accept, respect, admire or even possibly love)you if you don't vote the way I do" or in other words, "My way, or no way!" Sorry to disappoint you, sir, but this country and even the belief system that I maintain in my life, allows for EACH AND EVERY PERSON to choose for themselves! That means I get to vote for who or whatever I want! I get to make choices for ME!
Which is the other side of this "free will" coin -- MY choices, I will answer for them! Nobody else will be accountable for my choices, whether the choice is who to elect as president of the United States or whether I eat some delicious, cilantro-laden salsa! Not to say that my choices won't affect others, but I will be the only one that has to answer for them!
I guess that is part of what truly maturing is all about. And, no, I'm not patting myself on the back, but I have just learned that I can't make ANYONE be what I want them to be. They have to want the best for themselves! And my job, as a human being and a daughter of a loving Father in Heaven, is to try and love others the way He loves me, and help others get through this crazy little time called "Life".
Go vote, in November! And if you wanna vote for Mickey Mouse for President, do it! Just excersize your freedom and let your voice be heard! I love the saying "Evil prevails when good men do nothing". I'm not sure who said that, but I strongly believe it! To make a difference, we have to DO SOMETHING!
Okay, putting the soapbox away . . . but, it had to be said!

2 comments:

{connie} said...

kaelene, omg!!! i sooo remember you. how could i forget my scrappin' buddy for so many years. those late niters and the ones at your house, those were fuN! how the heck did ya find me? what are you up to? has it been that long? i will be in phx teaching this weekend for sei. if you make it to the convention you should stop by. here is my email addy so we can keep in touch.
sccscrapbooking@hotmail.com

love this blog entry you wrote. sometimes we have to get on the soapbox just so others can hear us. i will be adding you to my blog if that is ok? thanks for stoppin' by. we must keep in touch. *hugs* connie

Victor and Annette said...

loved your post!!!! You have a way with words and seem to express your thoughts so nicely. I second your thoughts....