Saturday, July 11, 2009

Though Deepening Trials . . .

Wow, I don't know that I have ever experienced "deepening trials" before. . . . but today I can say that I understand EXACTLY what that phrase means!
Yesterday afternoon, while at my new, gonna be permanent full-time job, my manager came into my office to talk to me. She closed the door -- NOT a good sign, but I was optimistic! Then, she proceeded to tell me that the upper management had a big budget meeting the day before, and while the Tempe location is doing fine, two others are not, and so everybody has to do what they can to cut back. So, the natural, FIRST choice -- cut all temps!
She was as surprised as I was, because I had already done the drug screen! The 20th was to be my first official day as an employee there . . .
Ya, deepening trial #1!
{And, I will say here, that we were just starting to get all the wolves at the door AWAY from the door, and were almost there, when this happened!}
Then, Jorge tells me, last evening at 6:30 pm, as I am leaving to watch Michelle's girls, while they go to a baseball game, "I think I need to go to the hospital . . . I feel very bad!" He has been feeling NOT himself for about 6 weeks, and 3 weeks ago, he went to a free health screen at one of those mini clinics that Walgreen's has. At that visit, the nurse practitioner told him that she didn't understand how he was sitting in front of her, and NOT in the hospital, because his blood sugar level was 394!!
So, when that happened, I scrambled to get the health insurance through the temporary agency that is currently my employer, so that he could go to the doctor, and get on some meds, get a diet plan, and be fine. Well, he never did go . . .
Fast forward to last night - so, we call the 24 hour nurse hotline, and ask for a nurse that speaks Spanish, to call us back. Meanwhile he tells me to go ahead and go to Michelle's. So, the nurse calls back, Jorge tells her his symptoms, {one of them being the fact that he has lost 40 lbs in 3 weeks!!} and she says, "you need to go to the Emergency room!"
So, thankfully Peter and Michelle were more than understanding, and I was off the hook for babysitting. I returned to the house, picked Jorge up, and we were off to the ER at Banner Desert.
In triage, the place where they do a quick pre-exam, they did a reading of his blood sugar; the machine doesn't read above 500. So, after waiting a few minutes, the machine, because it doesn't have a number to describe his level, gives us a "critically high" reading. You would be amazed what kind of response that gets you, in the ER!! None of this waiting 2 and 3 hours stuff, man! They took us right back to the pre-screening room.
After some initial info for the nurse, the Dr. came and spoke to Jorge; then within 20 minutes more, he was sitting in the Procedure area, with an IV drip of insulin.
So, long story short -- tonight he is spending night #2 in the hospital. We are hoping that he will be able to come home tomorrow, but his blood sugar has to be between 80 and 100 before the Dr. will consider sending him home.
I tried to stick it out, all night with him last night, {we didn't get up to a room until 2:40 am -- I guess they were busy last night!} but I couldn't get comfortable in the chair. Yes, it does recline, but still, not my bed! So, I left there at 4 am, and came home and slept for a few hours. Then, I got up, showered, and went back to the hospital, where I spend most of my day. I did leave to run a few errands, while he was asleep, but otherwise, that is where I was.
Preservation of life really is more important than a job, but shove them both together in my bucket of worries -- WOW!!
I'm looking for silver linings, though, in those storm clouds!! They gotta be there somewhere!
And, I've already sent out 8 resumes, and told my rep at the temp agency that I'll take anything, a day job, a week . . . I just can't go without $$$!
Please keep the Zapata family in your prayers! I know there is strength in numbers, especially when it comes to faith and prayer! ♥

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

OH MY GOSH! When it rains it pours! We'll add Jorge to our prayers - please keep me posted on how he's doing. Like you needed any extra stress right now. Poor thing. Hang in there!

Victor and Annette said...

well I guess I really should read your blog to find out what all those little comments on facebook are about. So sorry to hear what you are going through. I hope things look up soon. And I do need to update my blog, so much has been going on. I can't say I have been busy because school has been out, but alot is happening . talk soon

Lisa said...

i am so sorry. i will keep you in my prayers!!!

uhaul is looking for employers up here if you want to relocate to cooler temps! LOL

Tammy said...

K, things will get better. Have faith and pray a lot! I will be praying for you!