Tuesday, August 14, 2007

An account of my wedding - from 01/15/2007

I sent this email to my friends, after I had changed my name, one weekend! As you will soon find out, none of it was planned in advance, so they got to hear about it this way! I wanted to save this story, on my blog, for posterity! Here you go --

So, a funny thing happened on the way to my cousin's wedding on Saturday . . .
She and her husband have been married for a year and a half, but just got clearance to go to the temple. So, that was my plan, for January 13th, since like December 4th!

Then, my ever so spontaneous fiancé called me last Thursday -- "What are you doing this weekend?"I tell him, "well, I work on Friday, I'm scrapbooking at Michelle's on Friday night, and then my cousin's wedding on Saturday, and not much else planned, really! Why do you ask?'

"Well, he responds, " I was thinking that you could come up here and we'll move my things to Arizona; we'll stop in Vegas to get married, and then I will stay for a few days until I have to go to St. George."

Okay, for like 5 minutes I was in shock!! And, he asked me to keep it a secret from my family, as he wanted to be there, to surprise them with the announcement! I couldn't believe it, you guys!! I have been waiting and waiting for this man to say "Let's do this!" and more than once wondered if it would ever happen! So, I did ask him, more than once, "Okay, we're really doing this, right???" Right before I bought my plane ticket, "Okay, honey, I'm buying the ticket . . . we're doing this, right??" He responded with a rather impatient, "yes, do it!'

So the funny part is . . . how was I going to go to Utah, get married in Vegas, and move his stuff to Arizona, all before a 10 am temple wedding on Saturday, and then have my friend's truck back to him by Sunday night? Then, to just make things interesting, they have changed the laws in Vegas, (I guess to cut down on one night marriages, I don't know!) and now the courthouse, that was once open 24 hours a day, 6 days a week, is now only open until midnight every night. And, the Justice of the Peace has changed too, to only being open until 10 pm.
So, the flight to Utah on Friday afternoon, early, was changed to a little bit later. Then, after discussing it some more, I was going to go to the wedding, on Saturday, and then fly out. (So, that's 2 flight changes.) Then, another phone call, and I was back to flying out on Friday. I did call my cousin, and I said, "look, you know I love you and I would love to be at your sealing, but . . . what if my reason for missing it were a really good one?" Her response, after a few more details "GO!!"

So, I was outta here on Friday night! I flew in, and was going to stay at my aunt' s house in Tooele for the night. We went to my friends house, to get the truck, and had a conversation about NOT bringing the truck back until next weekend, (thank you, Rob, for your generosity!) and then we were set to pack the truck, etc. on Saturday.

After getting all of his things packed, there wasn't much room for my stuff -- the original plan was to move the rest of my things, too, since we were going to be there with a truck. But only a few of my boxes were able to accompany us, this time!
Got on the road around 4, our time, and knew that we had a VERY tight time schedule, to get to Vegas and get married, all before midnight! Thankfully, the weather, while VERY cold, was very cooperative, as well, and we pulled up to the courthouse around 9:10 pm.
I had checked in to a few of the wedding chapels in Vegas, a while ago, and none of them were within our budget! So, that is why we were rushing to go to the justice of the peace . . . and, frankly, I was a little panicked about missing the deadline!
As we pulled up to the courthouse, to get our license, a guy approached our vehicle, and asked, "you guys getting married tonight?" And when we said, "yes", he proceeded to tell us that they have a chapel, and a package, blah blah blah, that is cheaper than the justice of the peace, AND they are open until 12:00 am. SCORE!!!
So, we got our license, (took some photos in the courthouse), and got a limo ride, from the courthouse to the chapel, and had filled out our paperwork, when I realized that Jorge's ring was in my bag, in the truck that was parked AT THE COURTHOUSE!! So, we had to get a limo ride back to the courthouse, to get it, and then we drove the truck to the chapel.
While the words were very nice, and the ceremony was binding, I know that this is just a step to getting what I really want! So, in a year, we will go to the temple.
For right now, though, I have Jorge here with me (He will be going to St George, to work for a month, this week, but after that he will be here full time! woo hoo!!) and we are adjusting to all of our stuff in our little apartment.
We didn't get to Mesa until 9 am Sunday morning, and then couldn't get to sleep that afternoon, maybe because we were both just too tired, I don't know! So, I guess we will be trying to catch up on sleep for a few days.
That's the news, I just wanted to tell my story and let you know that my last name HAS officially been changed!

No comments: