Monday, August 13, 2007

Famous last words . . . .

A few weeks ago, I made an entry about loving to laugh! Sometimes I think that I'm given too many opportunities to laugh at myself!

Last Thursday, I was in the back parking lot, at work, waiting for one of the managers to pull a truck out of its parking space, so I could take said truck to run some work-related errands.

I was standing there, and I happened to look down at the asphalt -- there was a little, I don't even know what to call it, ditch, for lack of a better word! Anyway, I said to myself, in my head, "ooh, I gotta watch out for that!" Then, a few minutes later, forgetting all about that little ditch, I stepped backwards, right into it! It was totally like a slow-motion thing; I felt my foot step into it, and my ankle twisted, and then I fell forward.

I guess it is a good thing that I put both my hands out to brace my fall -- a face plant would have been a lot more painful, probably! But, OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't remember what I said, as I hit the dirt, but the manager heard me, looked around, and didn't see me. He said, later, "I was thinking, 'I know she was just here!'" Then, when he turned toward me, again, he saw me picking gravel out of the palms of my hands. He asked me, "Are you okay?" and my oh-so-dignified response?? "No!" as I was sobbing!!

No matter how I tried NOT to cry, it hurt VERY badly, and I couldn't help it. So, I climbed into the truck, to drive to the front office, and changed the course of my day.

I had to go to the clinic that we use for Workman's Comp, and have a drug screen test done, as well as spend the next 3 and a half hours . . . . waiting!

I guess it was a good lesson in empathy, for me, because I got to see exactly what people go through, when I send them there, with injuries.

Anyway, my ankle is not sprained, as we originally thought, but the top of my foot really hurts still. My shoulders and arms both hurt, but I think that a really good massage could cure that!!
My ego was a little bruised, too, but since I like to laugh so much, Ha Ha, here's one more thing to laugh at!

No comments: