Thursday, August 23, 2007

"Mean People Suck!"

I have seen this bumper sticker before, and have thought to myself, "well, ya, but what makes the person sporting that bumper sticker want to warn the world with that type of advertisement?"
Well, recent experience has shown me, yet again, that it isn't JUST people who are habitually and/or continually mean that suck! It is people, who do or say "mean" (Michelle, can you see me making the quote signs???) things.
I realize that we all find humor in different things; people are different. But to me, anyone who makes fun of other religions, race, sexual orientation, or nationality (I draw the line at gender, because trying to be funny about the opposite sex will ALWAYS be viewed as mean by someone!!) just to be "funny" is MEAN!!
In today's society, where we have 2 extremes -- being so politically correct that we address everyone as "person" instead of m'am or sir; or caring NOTHING about the sanctity of humanity and just bashing and railing against all humankind -- suddenly is created a big area of "gray". Suddenly, because I don't find a racial slur, or off-color joke funny, then I am being judgemental of the person who chose to share said joke. I am the bad guy, because I ". . . have no sense of humor!" and I ". . . need to calm down; it's just a joke!!"
Okay, so if it were about my specific religion, race or nationalility, it's okay to be upset, but since I am not from the race that is being slurred, it's okay? I think not!
I am far from perfect -- I will be the first to tell you that, and my husband will back me up! (ha ha ha), but I think that small-mindedness leads to mean things. And that is what they are -- MEAN! You can't sugar coat it -- if what is being shared belittles ANY of God's children, in what ever way shape or form, it is MEAN!
I have often heard that prejudice is based on fear -- and I believe that! Fear of being different, fear of not understanding differences, fear of feeling inferior, whatever. Fear does NOT come from a good source, so therefore it stands to reason that prejudice and whatever mean form we have chosen to portray that are NOT from a good source either!
I'm done now -- I don't want it to be said that nobody knew how I feel about mean things and the people who carry them out!

No comments: