Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Happy Birthday, Dear Grandma!

Today would've been my Grandma's 90th birthday. Instead of the potluck picnic that was planned at the park, she gets to spend it with her friends and loved ones in heaven.

The funeral services went well. Except for crying through the singing of EVERY hymn . . . we decided that there was only one of her top 5 favorites that we didn't cover! The great-grandchildren (those who were in attendance) sang "I Know That My Redeemer Lives", while the grandkids sang "How Great Thou Art".

Life goes on, however sadly at times. My uncle, as he finished his remarks, at the funeral, said, "I'm gonna miss you, Mama. Bye bye!" What a tender farewell.

A couple of my cousins and I were talking about how weddings and funerals really are the only events that bring all the family together. Sad, but true! But, I want to change that, and plan a family reunion, so that we can all gather and spend time laughing and talking and reminiscing.

One good thing about the gathering -- my siblings and I all got to pose, with my parents, for a family photo. Who knows what occasion will bring us all together like this, again! My sister and her family, as well as my brother and his son, all came from California, and my sister who lives in Denver flew down, as well. My friend, Tina, brought her great camera over to the church, and took some photos. (I'll post them later!)

1 comment:

Victor and Annette said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandma. It is always a time of reflection about what is really important. I hope you are all doing ok, give your mom a hug for me and let her know that I am thinking of you all. Love ya