Saturday, August 1, 2009

We Love You, Shasta!

Today our family, and especially Shasta's mom, DeAwna, bids farewell to this soul that has truly been part of the family! Even though she moved away 4 years ago, to Colorado, we still think about her and love her. Now we will miss her that much more!

She came to our family because DeAwna is an animal lover and rescued her from a shelter . . . I think she was at the County pound. Anyway, that was 15 years ago . . . and she walked all over our hearts from day one!
She was always so patient with all the children, from infants on up, that wanted to climb on her, pet her, pull her tail, and drag her around on a leash. Many of the Bailey family grandkids have memories of her . . .
DeAwna, I wanted to write you a poem, but these things can't be forced, you know?? So, I found this quote, and then I will recycle a poem that I wrote 18 years ago, that I think fits this situation well.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace."
Milan Kundera
Picking up the pieces
Of what life used to be
A soft, yet brilliant, memory
Rushes back to me.
A moment full of laughter
And then a time of trial;
Quickly memories come
Bringing tears, and then a smile.
So many memories
To help heal the empty pain
To keep loved ones near the heart
Til we're safely together again.
Tears fall on the pictures
That I see in my mind's eye.
Can I possibly go on?
Memories give me strength to try.
- Kaelene B Zapata, 1991
We love you, Shasta! Go to your eternal rest and know that we look forward to seeing you again someday!


4 comments:

Lisa said...

very sweet kaelene!

DeNeece said...

My favorite Memories of Shasta
Were the "Kennel Up" moments DeAwna the Amazing Dog Trainer she is had Shasta Trained tp follow her orders no matter what. I remember this tiny little step stool maybe 6" wide by 8" long Shasta was told to Kennel up and she paced around it, danced a little in preparation to get all four of her feet on this tiny little stool. But She did it. Shasta you will be missed.DeAwna I admire your strength through all of this. LOVE YOU

Julie said...

Okay, you just made me tear up and now I can't see the keyboard!!! I loved Shasta, she was so sweet, so sad that she has passed.

Loved your poem, fit perfectly for the situation.

angiedunn said...

this is tender, k.

you are a trooper & i love ya.