Thursday, April 19, 2007

I'm glad that I did!

Do you ever have things that you don't really want to do? Whether it is a favor for a family member, an assignment for work or church, or even attend a least-favorite cousin's birthday party -- I'm sure that this is not unique to me!
Anyway, my boss asked me to go to this Job Expo at the Phoenix Civic Center yesterday. Didn't really want to go -- had to go by myself! What fun is that? He wanted me to check around with some of the other employers and ask them what they do to recruit new people, and where they find the most success.
Well, we aren't really hiring right now, but he has visions of MUCHO work, and no employees to do it, because we have been so slow, and the production staff has only been working 25 - 32 hours a week. After 4+ months of that, who can blame a person for finding a different job??
Anyway, I wasn't really sure how to approach people with those questions, but, I figured that I could probably figure it out. Plus, one bright spot would be grabbing a burrito at Carolina's in south central Phoenix (Mexican food, made by actual Mexican people, that is to DIE for!!!)
So, I went. I bought my burrito to go, ate some of it on the way (which, OF COURSE, involved getting it on my shirt!!!) and then I headed off to the Civic Center.
After finishing my burrito in the car, I headed over to the Civic Center. ( I should have known that the parking was an indication of the attendance of the Expo -- next time I will know better!!) Okay -- LAME!! There were more people manning the booths than people looking for jobs. And some of them were like Mary Kay, and AFLAC -- looking for independent people and not really even a similar situation as mine.
So, I walked around for an hour and a half or so, asking a few questions about recruiting and asking a few questions about possibilities for my honey and my dad -- who are both in the market! Then, I was done -- not enough to stimulate my mind. But, I had heard about another job fair at Scottsdale Community College, so I could spend some more of my work day going there.
As I was walking out, I saw this girl, talking on her cell phone, against the wall, near the door. As I looked at her, I thought, "wow, she really looks like Trish!" (Trish is a friend from another lifetime of 14 years ago - darling girl, and I hadn't seen or talked to her in at least 9 years!) And, as I took a second look, she said, "HEY!! I know you!!" It WAS Trish!
We spent a few minutes catching up about mutual friends -- whose married, how many kids, etc. Then, she had an appointment for a job interview, so she had to go. I gave her my business card and asked her to call me.
It was sooooooooo good to see her! Sometimes I like the little flashbacks like that we have, to remind us of good friends and good memories! I like to think that every friend I have ever had has somehow touched my life for good. Whether it is just for a moment or for an eternity, each person has made a difference to me. And, I'm glad to be reminded of that, by seeing a familiar face in an unlikely place.

No comments: