Friday, April 20, 2007

Movie Review Friday

Not that I will be reviewing a movie EVERY Friday, but I would like to! It's a little difficult when your husband thinks that movies are for sleeping through!!
ANYWAY . . . .
Last night I watched "Freedom Writers", with Hilary Swank and Patrick Dempsey. This movie is based on a true story. Students at a Long Beach high school, which was integrated in the 1990's, after the Rodney King riots.
I love movies that are based on true stories -- there isn't a lot of room for critiquing, you know?? You can't knock real-life events -- because they happen like they happen!!
Anyway, this is a truly inspirational story. If only all teachers could have the drive and love of the job that Erin Gruwell has, this world might have fewer wars and a lot more tolerance.
At times it seems a little choppy, like there are gaps in the story -- but I'm sure that not every moment of the 2 year period was movie-worthy, you know?
I was really glad that I liked it, because I bought it before seeing it -- which I don't usually like to do, but I had heard that it was really good. And I got a copy of "School Ties" (Which I love!!) with it, and the 2 together were only $20.00 at Wal-Mart!

No comments: