Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Life as we know it

By "we" I mean employees at my job. On October 31, 2008 we were all given a letter, announcing the closing of the company. We were all told that we would be employed, should we choose to, until December 29, 2008.
Now, this was a LITTLE bit of a surprise, because while we knew that the Memphis location was closing as of November 7, 2008, we had been told that some investors were going to buy us out, and keep most of us gainfully employed. Then, on Halloween, we got that scary letter!
So then, 3 days letter, the rumor mill was rumbling again, "the buyers are back on board"; "we're gonna be a new company" and so on. I'm hearing about things that I, as the Human Resources Administrator, have not even heard from the prospective buyers, and I can't do anything to dispell the rumors.
To sum this all up, I'm a tad frustrated! If we are going to close (which after a weekend to wrap my brain around, I was almost perfectly fine with finding a new job!) then bring it on! Let me box up my endless amount of files and prepare them to ship to Memphis. I understand very well that I will probably be the last one out the door - that's the nature of my job! But this not knowing and being too busy to focus on finding something else, just in case they decide they don't want me, either, that is enough to drive me CRAZY!!!!!!
Having no information, and nothing to calm the masses with, is only throwing us all into a state of "Well, I'm not hanging around to find out!" And that, my friends, IS NO WAY TO INCREASE EMPLOYEE MORALE!
Let that be a lesson for ya! :)

And, just to end on a more cheerful note . . . scrappy things are happening in my neck of the woods! I'm lovin' that! Photos later!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

i'm so sorry i missed your birthday!!! happy 35th!!!!

good luck with work related issues!!!