Thursday, January 17, 2008

Another Family Tradition Ends!




. . . and not by any choice of ours! Our family favorite, Matta's, on Main St in Mesa, is closing it's doors forever! SAD!!


This has been our immediate and extended family gathering place for as long as I can remember! After baptisms, temple visits, family meetings, or just because for YEARS! Thanks to Matta's I know what a chile relleno is . . . and like them VERY much! Oh, and their hot sauce -- when I lived in Utah, I CRAVED it! Every time somebody from Arizona came to Utah, I made them bring me at least one bottle! (My dad was so kind to bring me 4 bottles one time -- oh, yeah!!)


Anyway, it made me a little melancholy this afternoon, when I read about the restaurant closing! I have so many memories from there!


- Mariachi singers serenading us at our table


- My nephew, Wyatt, yelling "OOOWWWWW!" the first time he ever tasted the hot sauce!(We had to laugh at him, because he insisted on trying it!)


- Me blowing milk bubbles out my nose, and spitting it too!


- Strawberry Crush soda from a bottle, oh, and Sasparilla, too!


- Many, many, many bowls of chips


- Post girls' camp lunch with all the cabin moms


- Lunch with the ladies


- To go orders when I worked at Kinko's


Wow, lots of memories! And I don't think that I have many photos from that mecca of memories. I remember it being a special place, for birthdays, for Mother's Day . . . or just for fun!


There is one waitress there that has been there since my MOM graduated from high school -- that's a LOOOOOOOONG time, y'all! (Love ya, Mom!)


I guess after 55 years of working so hard to make a great place, they deserve to retire, but we will miss that part of our family! Thanks, Matta family, for all of the memories!



6 comments:

Aubrey said...

Oh sad! So who is in charge of the Bailey Brats blog? If you like to help people so much then lend a hand to that someone! I would love to hear what my cousins are up to. I never hear about your family. Oh and something else . .On you blog you have someone by the name of Maddy. It must be a small world because Aaron's brother who lives in Chandler (like 12 minutes from your parents) has a blog and they have that same girl on their blog. So I am just wondering the connection there. Their names are Dave and Bonnie Critchfield. Anyway, weird huh? Like I say it is obviously a small world.

Kaelene said...

Well, Aubrey, my siblings and I are supposed to be "in charge" of the Bailey Brats blog, but my dad is supposed to be telling the "Hey Ezra" story on it, so we are waiting for him!! (Go figure that we have had to wait this long . . . he is the one who ISN'T employed currently! WHATEVER!!)
I will ask Maddy how she knows the Critchfields!

Kerry said...

There are going to be a lot of lost souls! I know that place is a huge tradition to a lot of people.

Do you know why they are closing?

{Brooke} said...

hey you little stinker!!! i will write more. you need to post some of your scrap stuff for me. we'll swap! k? how is the weather there? it is time for me to take a vacation!!! this cold stuff is killing me. love ya

Kaelene said...

They are closing because the original owners want to retire. Apparently their children's children want to do the Matta's Grille thing . . . a less traditional restaurant that kinda has a "fast food" feel.

Victor and Annette said...

aaaaaaaaaaawwwwwhhhhhhhh..... I am not even there to go one last time... I want their salsa. Boo hoo, I am sooooo sad. Eat there for me one last time!