Monday, January 14, 2008

Can I Help?

I know me, the parts of me that drive me crazy, and the parts of me that I can't really help or seem to get rid of! LOL :)
I am a blue personality (See http://www.thecolorcode.com/) and an integral part of being a blue, for me, is the need to be needed. I just like to help people . . . family, friends, complete strangers . . . I just like to help!
People, even family members, sometimes question my motivation for being so helpful, but I can honestly say, I just like to help!
Here's an example: Today, at work, the Accounting manager told us that his assistant is leaving the company. So, since I am the Human Resources Administrator, I decided to ask her about it. Turns out, she had let him know, IN CONFIDENCE, that she was leaving, just to be considerate to him, and give him a bit of a heads up! She wasn't very happy that he told ALL of the managers about her plans!
I asked her if there were anything that she needed from me, and if she had anything that she had anything to discuss with me. She said, "No, it is just time to move on . . . I can't take it anymore!" Okay, what do I say to that??
Then, a half an hour later, she came back to my office with this question, "Well, since the news is out . . . do you know of anyone that is hiring??"
I, in my need to be helpful, the HR Administrator for the company that she is leaving, responded with, "Yes, I know that there are lots of jobs out there!" Then we proceeded to talk about the pros and cons of temporary agencies, and what they do or do not have to offer. (She doesn't want to work through an agency, because she doesn't want them to ". . . make money off of me!")
A little while later, I called her at her desk, to give her a few more pros about temp agencies. She said, "Thanks! I didn't think about it that way!"
There you go, me being helpful! Let's just hope that my boss doesn't have a problem with my helpfulness . . . I need to be needed, but I DON'T need to be needing another job! LOL

2 comments:

Kerry said...

You are always helpful. That's what we love about you.

Victor and Annette said...

Thats what I miss about you.... Hey sorry that we haven't hooked up yet on the tele... I'll try to give you a call later.