Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The Bucket List


So, the premise of the movie, "The Bucket List" is this: 2 men, both cancer victims, make a list of things they want to do . . . before they kick the bucket!

The theme is rather reminiscent of the lyrics to a song that Tim McGraw sings, "Live like you were dyin'", but actually shows (however fictionally!) these 2 men doing just that!
(I need to say, before I go any further, that I am NOT a Jack Nicholson fan . . . he is too crass, crude and crotchety for me!! Usually!! But, this part was perfect for him, because he could be himself . . . or at least my perceived version of himself!)
I got free movie passes from a friend at work, and my mom and I arrived at the theater an hour and 45 minutes before the movie started, to ensure a seat. (That wasn't the fun part!!) But, by the time the movie was over, I felt that it was well worth the time spent!
I have my dreams, of course, of someday things and probably not in a million years things, but this story inspired me to really think about things that are important to me, to accomplish before I move on from this "frail existence".
Before I let you in on my "Bucket List", I want to say, about the movie soundtrack -- lots of great oldies! Including "In the Jungle", that both actors are singing, while driving on safari in Africa. LOVE that song! And, John Mayer wrote a song called "SAY", which he sings during the closing credits. It's a pretty simple song, but with a strong message. My favorite line is this:
"Better to say too much than to never say what you need to say . . . " Ah, wisdom put to music - my favorite kind!
Anyway, I got to pondering my "Bucket List" a bit, and came up with a few things. I don't think that this is in any way a complete list, but for right now, I can focus on these few things and move on from there. Here goes:
- Have a child (experience childbirth, etc.)
- Learn to play the piano well
- Write my life's story (whether it will be worth reading or not is beside the point!)
- Make a difference in my family
- Publish a children's story
- Say "I love you" with my actions, every day
As I said, these are just a few things, but I love how the release of this movie corresponds with the new year -- I don't have to make resolutions! I can make a Bucket List!

6 comments:

angiedunn said...

I totally wanna see this movie...I hesitated though, because I agree about JN...but I'm happy to have a good recommendation!

PS: Those Christmas cards that you made for your friend are tdf...to die for. I'll miss runnin' into you @ the store every other day though...(:

Anonymous said...

i love the bucket list idea. you go girl. i think you need to add one thing though. try to find more things that you can put with rice! ;)

Anonymous said...

You are right, Lulu!! I do need to find more things to eat with rice . . . but BROWN rice!!
Kaelene

Anonymous said...

Hi, I started watching the movie during a flight to my hometown but unfortunately I couldn´t finish it! I just loved what you wrote about it and this is exactly what I´m living now: the important things in my life! Not worring about tomorrow because life is here and now!
Rgds,

Anonymous said...

Man, in the part of the movie when they are at the safari there's a song that's pretty catchy, not the one the guys are singing, but the background one, something like tribal music or things like that, we always make fun of that song in my school, does anyone know the name of that song??

Anonymous said...

I'm looking for that song as well