Monday, May 19, 2008

You CAN pick your friends


. . . but sometimes they pick you!

I have been on this earth long enough to learn a few valuable lessons. One of them, that I keep learning very valuable aspects of, is friendship.

Some of my best friends, are family! My sisters I count as some of the best, as well as some of my cousins! Others are friends from so many years ago, and we can pick up right where we left off, whenever we get together. I love that!

Other friends are people that are placed in our lives by consequences: School, church, work, hobbies. While some of them only stay in our lives as long as we attend school/church/work with them, they definitely make the road a little more smooth, as we go! Thankfully! And, if they come around again, 18+ years later . . . "hey, good to see ya! Let's reminisce, and then go on and make new memories!"

But, if we don't make a connection and find common ground all those years later, it is okay. The purpose was served at the time, and we all learned from it and moved on. The moving on part used to be VERY hard for me! I used to think of my friends as a collection - once you got one, you must keep it around. People are different, though, than say, teddy bears! (Don't laugh -- I just barely gave away the last 2 big plastic bags full of my teddy bear collection!)
However, I have learned from my experiences, moves, opportunities called life that this saying is true. The saying goes: "Most people come into our lives and quickly leave. It is the special few that come in and leave a footprint in our hearts. and we are forever changed."

So, as I face a new day, and a new opportunity to make friends, I will try to remember that God gives us this day to be a friend and often gives us a friend in the same moment! And I am most thankful for that gift.

8 comments:

Tammy said...

KK, I am Blessed that you are my friend and that our lives crossed paths 12 or 13 years ago! (WOW! has it really been that long ago?) We have hardly talked for years (since I moved away 10 years ago!) But I still consider you one of the best friend that I have ever had! Love ya tons! Your friend forever, Tammy

Maddy said...

Awww, that was so sweet!

At first I thought I was on Kerry's blog for some reason and I couldn't figure out why Kerry was all suddenly so gushy for her sister. LOL!

Kaelene said...

That had to be a huge red flag, huh Maddy? LOL

Victor and Annette said...

Ok now it was your turn to make me feel all gushy inside...

Lisa said...

kaelene--i can't think of a nicer, more genuine person to have as a friend! pssst--you can now be my BFF since shanna and kerry are leaving me!!!

Kaelene said...

Cool, Lisa! I hope I am worthy to fill those shoes!

Kaelene said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
{Brooke} said...

i hope i am 'one' of those cousins!!! i really enjoyed talking with you while you were here. i have always learned a lot from you. thanks KK.