Thursday, May 1, 2008

Life Lessons - Cheese grating 101

Last night, my sister, Karalee, volunteered to color and cut my hair, because her paying customers cancelled. How could I say no to that?

Anyway, we decided to make dinner first, with me going to the grocery store for all of the makings for Taco Salad and chips and guacamole.

I arrived at her house at 6:05 pm, and Chase and MaiCee needed to leave for their church activity by 6:45 pm. So, I asked Chase if he would grate the cheese.

I encountered some resistance, at first. Really lame comments like, "My hands are really dirty!" Finally, to combat his lame excuses, I said, "Hey, if we all work together, we'll get dinner ready that much faster!"

He conceded that this was a good idea! So, I handed him the grater (similar to the one pictured) and the cheese. (Oh - he DID wash his hands first, don't worry!!)

I was busy making the guacamole and chopping the onions. But, after a few minutes he asked, "Can we spray "Pam" on this or something? This doesn't slide very well!" So, I walked over to look at how and what he was doing.

He was about half way through the block of cheese, but he was NOT grating cheese, as much as he was pushing the cheese through the WRONG side of the grater!! So, I struggled to keep my laughter in check as I asked him, "Which way do you have the grater. . . oh, Chase, you have it one the wrong side! Turn it over, and you will find it works a lot better!"

His response? "See, I told you that I don't know how to do this!!" He hadn't actually said those words, but I guess that is what he was trying to cover up with his other excuses!

I asked him, "aren't you glad that you learned how to do this now, instead of waiting until you're on your mission, and your companion laughs at you for being a dork??" He responded with a sheepish grin and a "Ya!"

He was a good sport about it . . . and he helped us eat dinner sooner! I love that kid!


Oh, and 2 other things to note: My blog had a birthday, and it went by unnoticed . . . by me!! DOH! It doesn't seem possible that it has ONLY been a year! I love it, though, and I am glad that I keep reconnecting with people that I know/love because of it!


And, sadly, my team has been eliminated from the play-offs! San Antonio truly is our nemesis -- we cannot seem to beat them in post-season play! Good for them, not so good for Phoenix! And, since when is floppin' on the floor and whinin' to the ref part of the noble sport called basketball?? I'm starting to think that the Spurs have mastered those tactics! (no, no bitterness here!! LOL)

3 comments:

{Brooke} said...

KK... I thought you were going to say that Chase grated his hand instead of the cheese!!! Whew. See you in a couple days. Love ya

Lisa said...

hello? picture of new hair??? and it's better to have blogged about your nephew's cheese gratin' skills for the world to read instead of his measly companion laughing!! LOL you should have just had him make the rice instead!!!

Kaelene said...

Lisa, the rice making lesson would have taken TOO much time! And remember the quote, "Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and they shut you out!" I wanted to show him 2 lessons in life that night!!